This is a comprehensive guideline on how to check MTN airtime balance; it can be done through various channels, such as USSD codes, SMS messages, or the MyMTN app.
In this guide, we will walk you through the different methods for checking your MTN airtime balance and provide you with step-by-step instructions for each one.
As a MTN subscriber, it is important to keep track of your airtime balance so you do not run out of airtime unexpectedly.
How to Check Your MTN Airtime Balance
Checking your MTN airtime balance is a straightforward process, and you can do it in various ways. The four major ways to check your airtime are:
1. Dial the MTN Airtime Balance USSD code
To check your airtime balance, dial *136# on your phone and press the call button. You’ll receive an SMS message with your current airtime balance.
This USSD code ( *136#) is for people in South Africa. For people in Nigeria, dial *556# to check your MTN airtime balance
2. Use the MTN App
Open the app, navigate to the “Balance” section, and you’ll see your current airtime balance.
3. Call the MTN customer care center
You can also call the MTN customer care center on 180, and an agent will provide you with your airtime balance.
4. Send an SMS message
You can also check your airtime balance by sending an SMS message to the MTN shortcode 131. In the message body, type “BAL” and send the message.
You may like:
How to Recharge Your MTN Account
Recharging your MTN account is a crucial step to stay connected, and there are various ways to do it. Here are some of the most popular methods
1. Use Electronic Recharge
Electronic recharge allows you to purchase airtime using your mobile money service, such as MTN Mobile Money.
You can also use a bank transfer or a credit card to purchase airtime electronically. To purchase airtime using electronic recharge, follow these steps:
- Dial the airtime recharge ussd code for your mobile money service (e.g., *170# for MTN Mobile Money).
- Follow the prompts to select “Airtime” or “Recharge” and enter the amount you want to purchase.
- Enter your mobile money PIN or other authentication credentials to confirm the transaction.
- Within a few seconds, you’ll receive an SMS message with the confirmation of your airtime purchase.
2. Use scratch cards ( Voucher)
MTN scratch cards are available in various denominations, and you can purchase them from MTN stores, supermarkets, and other retail outlets. To recharge your account using an MTN scratch card, follow these steps:
- Peel the covering on the card and you will be able to view the PIN.
- Dial *156*PIN# and press the call button.
- Within a few seconds, you’ll receive an SMS message confirming your airtime purchase.
3. Use of MTN Share and Sell
Follow the guideline below to use this method to check your MTN airtime balance:
- Dial *3451# and press the call button to register for MTN Share and Sell.
- Follow the prompts to set your Share and Sell PIN, which you’ll use to authorize airtime transfers.
- To transfer airtime to another MTN subscriber, dial *3453#.
- Put the destination NO and punch in the airtime amount.
- Enter your Share and Sell PIN to authorize the transaction.
Within a few seconds, both you and the recipient will receive an SMS message confirming the transaction.
4. Recharge using MTN Auto Top-Up
MTN Auto Top-Up is a service that allows you to automatically recharge your MTN account when your airtime balance falls below a certain level. To use this service, follow these steps:
- Dial *904# and press the call button to register for MTN Auto Top-Up.
- Follow the prompts to set your Auto Top-Up threshold, which is the minimum airtime balance you want to maintain.
- Select the payment method for your Auto Top-Up, which can be mobile money, credit card, or bank transfer.
Once you’ve set up MTN Auto Top-Up, your account will be automatically recharged when your airtime balance falls below the threshold you’ve set.
You may like:
MTN Main Account Balance Vs Bonus Account Balance
What is the difference between the main account balance and the bonus account balance?
The main account balance is the amount of airtime you have purchased or recharged, while the bonus account balance is the extra airtime you receive as part of MTN promotions or bonus offers.
The bonus account balance is usually valid for a shorter period than the main account balance, so be sure to use it before it expires.
You may like:
Frequently Asked Questions
And here are some frequently asked questions that could be included in the guide:
- How Do I Recharge My Mtn Airtime Balance Using Electronic Recharge?
To recharge your MTN airtime balance using electronic recharge, you’ll need to purchase airtime using a mobile money service, such as MTN Mobile Money or a bank transfer.
You can also use the MTN website or MyMTN app to purchase airtime electronically.
- What do I do if I can’t check my airtime balance using any of the methods described?
If you’re having trouble checking your MTN airtime balance using USSD codes, SMS messages, or the MyMTN app, try restarting your phone or contacting MTN customer support for assistance.
- Can I check my MTN airtime balance while I am roaming?
Yes, you can check your MTN airtime balance while roaming, but additional fees may apply. Check with MTN customer support for more information.
- What is the minimum airtime balance required to make a call or send a text message?
The minimum airtime balance required to make a call or send a text message varies depending on your plan and location.
You may like:
Check with MTN customer support or refer to the terms and conditions of your plan for more information.
- Can I transfer my airtime to another MTN subscriber?
Highly possible, however, check with MTN customer support or refer to the terms and conditions of your plan for more information.
Staying connected is essential in today’s world, and having airtime on your phone is a must. By following the steps outlined in this guide, you can easily check your MTN airtime balance.
This guide makes it easy to also recharge your account using a variety of methods, including electronic recharge, scratch cards, MTN Share and Sell, and MTN Auto Top-Up.
With these options, you’ll never have to worry about running out of airtime, no matter where you are or what you’re doing.